Camping at Summit Lake State Park
Location and Contact Information
Summit Lake State Park is located in east-central Indiana, near the city of New Castle. Its exact address for those looking to visit is:
Summit Lake State Park 5993 N. Messick Road New Castle, IN 47362
For inquiries or additional information, visitors can reach out via the following contact details:
Phone: (765) 766-5873 Email: [email protected]
Camping Facilities and Reservations
Summit Lake State Park offers over 120 electric campsites and a youth tent camp area. Amenities often include:
- Electrical hookups
- Modern restrooms
- Water access
- A dump station for RVs
Reservations can be made through the Indiana Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Reservations system. It's typically a good idea to book well in advance, especially during peak seasons like summer weekends and holidays. Camping fees vary based on factors such as time of the year and day of the week.
Reservation Website: Indiana DNR Camping Reservations (https://indianastateparks.reserveamerica.com/)
Apart from camping, Summit Lake State Park offers a variety of recreational activities including:
Boating and Fishing: The park boasts a 800-acre lake where visitors can enjoy boating (electric motors only) and fishing. Common catches include bass, bluegill, crappie, and catfish.
Hiking Trails: There are multiple hiking trails within the park that allow visitors to explore the natural landscape and wildlife.
Swimming: A beach area is available for swimming during the warmer months, typically Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Picnicking: Several picnic areas and shelters can be reserved or used on a first-come, first-served basis.
Bird Watching: The park is an excellent spot for bird watchers with its diverse habitats hosting a variety of bird species.
Nature Programs: The park's interpretive services offer guided walks, educational programs, and workshops.
To ensure safety and preservation of the natural environment, Summit Lake State Park enforces several regulations:
- Quiet Hours: Typically enforced from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Check-In/Check-Out Times: For campers, these times are usually specific and should be adhered to.
- Alcohol Policy: It's important to check current regulations regarding alcohol as they can vary by state and sometimes by park.
- Pets: Pets are often allowed but must be kept on a leash and controlled at all times.
- Fishing Regulations: Indiana fishing license is required, and all state fishing regulations apply.
- Campfire Safety: Fires are only permitted in designated areas, and firewood may not be brought in from out of state to prevent the spread of invasive pests.
Summit Lake State Park is committed to providing facilities that are accessible to all visitors. Guests with disabilities should check with the park office for specific information on accessible camping sites, trails, and other facilities.