Camping at Camping
Location and Overview
Mills-Norrie State Park, also known as Margaret Lewis Norrie State Park, is located in the Hudson Valley region of New York State along the banks of the Hudson River. Situated in Staatsburg, the park is nestled midway between Rhinebeck and Hyde Park. Covering over 1,000 acres, it offers a serene environment for a variety of outdoor activities.
Camping in Mills-Norrie State Park includes a campground that is tailored for tent and RV campers. The campsites are equipped with essential amenities such as fire rings, picnic tables, and nearby comfort stations featuring showers and restrooms. Some sites may offer hookups for RVs.
Reservations and Fees
- Reservations can usually be made online or by phone through the New York State Parks reservation system. It's recommended to book your spot in advance, especially during peak season, to ensure availability.
- Fees can vary based on the type of campsite, the time of year, and any additional amenities. Make sure to check the current rates when planning your trip and be aware of cancellation policies.
- Hiking: The park boasts numerous trails ranging in difficulty and offering beautiful views of the Hudson River and surrounding forest.
- Fishing: Anglers can enjoy fishing along the riverbank or by boat. Common catches include bass, carp, and catfish.
- Boating: The park has a marina and a boat launch, accommodating both motorized and non-motorized boats.
- Biking: Many visitors bring bicycles to ride on the park's roadways and trails.
- Picnicking: Picnic areas are scattered throughout the park, offering a pleasant spot for a meal in the outdoors.
Wildlife and Nature
The area is home to a variety of flora and fauna. Birdwatchers and nature enthusiasts can spot various bird species and potentially encounter wildlife like deer, raccoons, and squirrels. It's important to respect wildlife and follow the principles of Leave No Trace to minimize your impact on the natural environment.
- Playgrounds: Younger campers can enjoy the playground facilities available in the park.
- Pavilions: These can be rented for group events or family gatherings.
- Museum: The nearby Staatsburgh State Historic Site houses an elegant country home which is open for tours.
- Golf: Golfing is available at the Dinsmore Golf Course, one of the oldest public golf courses in the country.
Important Tips and Regulations
- Check-in & Check-out: Be sure to know the check-in and check-out times to comply with the campground's schedule.
- Firewood: Transporting firewood into or out of the park may be restricted due to pest control. Inquire about firewood policies when you book your reservation.
- Pets: If you're bringing a pet, ascertain the park's rules regarding pets, including leash requirements and restricted areas.
- Alcohol Policy: Some state parks have regulations concerning the possession and consumption of alcohol, so verify what is permitted.
- Quiet Hours: Adhere to any quiet hours to ensure a peaceful atmosphere for all campers.
Contact and Information
For the most up-to-date information about camping at Mills-Norrie State Park, you should contact the park directly or visit the New York State Parks website. Contact information including phone numbers and email addresses are usually provided for potential visitors to make inquiries or reservations.