Camping at CALEDONIA STATE PARK
Location: Caledonia State Park is located in Fayetteville, Pennsylvania, along the Lincoln Highway (U.S. Route 30) between Chambersburg and Gettysburg.
Geographical Information: The park covers 1,125 acres and lies within two counties, Franklin and Adams. It is nestled in South Mountain, the northern terminus of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Contact Information: You can contact the park office for questions about camping and park use:
- Caledonia State Park Office
- 101 Pine Grove Road
- Fayetteville, PA 17222
- Phone: 717-352-2161
Campground Details: Caledonia State Park offers both tent and trailer camping with a range of facilities. There are over 180 campsites, most with electric hookups.
- Season: The camping season generally runs from the beginning of April through to the end of October.
- Facilities: Modern restrooms, warm showers, and a sanitary dump station are provided within the camping areas.
- Pets: Certain designated areas of the campground permit pets.
- Reservations: Campsites can be reserved up to 11 months in advance until the day prior to arrival. You can reserve online via the Pennsylvania state park reservation system or by calling their toll-free number.
Hiking and Trails: Over 10 miles of trails are available for hiking, including the 2.5-mile Thaddeus Stevens Historic Trail.
Swimming: A public swimming pool is available during the summer season, with lifeguards on duty.
Fishing: The park’s streams are stocked with trout and provide excellent fishing opportunities.
Picnicking: Picnic tables and pavilions are scattered throughout the park for visitors to use.
History: The park is the site of the historic iron furnace, Caledonia Furnace, which was destroyed during the Civil War.
Golfing: An 18-hole public golf course is available within the park.
Recommended Items to Bring
- Tent or camping trailer and camping gear
- Suitable clothing for anticipated weather conditions
- Food supplies and cooking utensils
- Insect repellent and sunscreen
- Hiking boots or sturdy shoes for trails
- Fishing gear if you plan to fish
Regulations and Safety
Check-In: Check-in time for campsites is typically 3:00 pm, and check-out time is usually by 3:00 pm as well.
Alcohol Policy: Alcoholic beverages are prohibited in all Pennsylvania state parks.
Firewood: To prevent the spread of insects and disease, the use of firewood brought from outside the park is discouraged. It's recommended to buy firewood locally around the park area.
Wildlife: Store food securely and keep a clean campsite to not attract wildlife.
Emergencies: Dial 911 in case of an emergency. It's wise to be familiar with the closest hospital or urgent care facilities. Keep a first aid kit and know basic first aid procedures.
The weather in this region can be varied. Summers can be hot and humid, while spring and fall can be unpredictable with cooler temperatures and potential rainfall. Winters are typically cold and can bring snow. Always check the weather forecast prior to your trip and pack accordingly.
Caledonia State Park is committed to making its amenities accessible to all visitors. Contact the park office for specific inquiries regarding accessibility for those with disabilities.
Remember that policies and amenities can change, so it's always recommended to check the park's official website or contact the park office before planning your trip.