Camping at Tumalo State Park
Camping at Tumalo State Park
Tumalo State Park, located in central Oregon near the city of Bend, is a popular destination for campers looking to enjoy the great outdoors. With the Deschutes River meandering through, this state park offers picturesque views, plentiful recreation, and facilities for a comfortable camping experience.
Location: It lies approximately 4 miles northwest of Bend, along O.B. Riley Road.
Campsites: The park features several camping options, including:
- Tent Sites: These are non-electric and offer a picnic table, fire pit, and access to communal water spigots.
- RV Sites: Varying in length, many have electric and water hookups. Some sites offer full hookups, including sewer.
- Yurts: The park also has a few yurts available, which are circular, domed, tent-like structures with more amenities than simple tent camping. They typically include beds, heaters, and electrical outlets.
Reservations for campsites and yurts can be made in advance through the Oregon State Parks website or ReserveAmerica.
- Restrooms: Equipped with flushing toilets and hot showers.
- Picnic Areas: Day-use picnic areas are scattered throughout the park.
- Playground: Suitable for children.
- Water Access: The park provides easy access to the Deschutes River for fishing, swimming, and other water activities.
- Hiking: There are trails for hiking and nature observation in the park.
- Biking: Nearby trails also accommodate mountain biking.
- Fishing: The Deschutes River is known for trout and steelhead fishing.
- Wildlife Viewing: You may spot various wildlife, including deer and a wide array of bird species.
- Check-in/Check-out Times: Check-in starts at 4 p.m., and check-out is typically at 1 p.m.
- Quiet Hours: Usually enforced to ensure campers' peace and quiet.
- Pets: Are allowed but must be kept on a leash.
- Fires: Only allowed in designated fire pits, and fire regulations can change with the fire danger levels.
Seasons: The park's campgrounds are typically open year-round, but specific season dates and yurt availability may vary depending on weather conditions and maintenance schedules.
Fees: There are nightly fees for campsites, RV sites, and yurt rentals. These can vary based on the site type and season. It's recommended to check the latest fee schedule when booking.
- Reservations: Especially during peak season or for yurts, it is advisable to make reservations well in advance.
- Weather Preparedness: Central Oregon's weather can vary significantly. Pack for both warm days and cold nights.
- Leave No Trace: Always follow Leave No Trace principles to preserve the park's natural beauty for others.
Contact Information: For the latest information, contact the park directly or visit the Oregon State Parks website. It's always a good idea to verify details like hours of operation, reservation policies, and site availability before planning your trip.