Camping at WELLESLEY ISLAND STATE PARK
Wellesley Island State Park is one of the largest camping complexes in the Thousand Islands region, located in the St. Lawrence River in Northern New York. It offers a variety of recreational activities and is well-known for its rich natural environment and scenic views.
The park is situated on Wellesley Island in the St. Lawrence River. It can be accessed by the Thousand Island Bridge, which connects to Interstate 81 and New York State Route 12.
Wellesley Island State Park offers a diverse selection of camping options including:
- Campsites: Traditional campsites for tents or RVs, with some offering water, sewer, and electric hook-ups.
- Cottages: The park also has rustic cottages available for rent, which can accommodate larger groups.
- Cabins: These provide a more sheltered camping experience, with basic amenities and furnishings.
- Comfort stations: These include showers and bathroom facilities.
- Picnic areas: Scenic spots with tables and grills.
- Playgrounds: For children to enjoy.
- Boat launches and marina: For boaters and fishing enthusiasts.
- Nature center: Offers educational programs about the local flora and fauna.
- Trails: There are hiking trails for all skill levels and a scenic view of the St. Lawrence River.
- Swimming: There is a beach area for swimming, though water quality advisories should be heeded.
- Boating: The park has facilities for boating with rental options during the summer season.
- Wildlife Viewing: The park is a hotspot for birdwatchers and wildlife enthusiasts.
- Golfing: There's a golf course nearby.
- Winter Sports: During the winter, activities like cross-country skiing and snowshoeing are popular.
- Reservations: It's advisable to book your camping spot in advance, especially during peak season.
- Quiet Hours: Typically enforced to ensure a peaceful environment.
- Firewood: To prevent the spread of invasive species, bringing in outside firewood is often prohibited. Firewood should be purchased locally.
- Pets: Pets are usually allowed but must be supervised and on a leash.
The park is open year-round, but full services are typically only available from mid-May to mid-September. Some facilities may be closed or have limited access during the off-season.
It's important to check the latest information and any advisories directly through the New York State Parks website or contact them through their customer service to ensure a safe and enjoyable visit.
Before you go camping at Wellesley Island State Park, always check for any changes in park policy, weather conditions, or special alerts that might affect your trip. Enjoy your adventure in one of New York's beautiful state parks!