Camping at GREEN LAKES STATE PARK
Location and Contact Information
Green Lakes State Park is a New York State Park located in Fayetteville, east of the city of Syracuse. The park's striking feature is its two glacial lakes surrounded by upland forest. The address for Green Lakes State Park is:
- Address: 7900 Green Lakes Road, Fayetteville, NY 13066-9802
To contact the park for more information, you can use the following details:
- Phone: (315) 637-6111
- Website: Green Lakes State Park
Facilities: Green Lakes State Park offers several different camping facilities including campsites for tents and trailers, cabin rentals, and a limited number of campsites with electricity.
Reservations: You can reserve a campsite or cabin online at ReserveAmerica or by calling the reservation line. It is recommended to make reservations well in advance, especially if planning a trip during peak season.
- Reservation Line: 1-800-456-CAMP (2267)
Camping Season: The typical camping season runs from early spring through late fall, but it is best to check the specific dates as they vary year to year.
Hiking: Green Lakes State Park offers more than 20 miles of hiking trails. The trails around the lakes are particularly popular, providing a beautiful view of the unique blue-green waters the lakes are known for.
Swimming: There is a swimming area with lifeguards on duty at dates and times posted within the park.
Golfing: The park has an 18-hole golf course designed by Robert Trent Jones which is extremely popular.
Fishing: The park allows fishing in both Green Lake and Round Lake, home to a diverse range of fish species. A New York State fishing license is required.
Boating: Rowboats and canoes are available for rent, but no outside boats are allowed to protect the water quality and prevent the spread of invasive species.
Green Lakes State Park is highly valued for its ecological uniqueness. The two glacial lakes—Green Lake and Round Lake—are two of only a few meromictic lakes in the United States. In meromictic lakes, the surface and bottom waters do not mix, leading to a high preservation environment for historic artifacts and high clarity of the water.
Rules and Regulations
- Pets: Pets are allowed in certain areas but must be leashed and attended at all times.
- Alcohol: Alcohol consumption is subject to New York State laws and may be restricted in certain areas within the park.
- Fires: Fires are permitted only in designated areas and within fire rings or grills provided. Do not leave fires unattended.
- Quiet Hours: The park enforces quiet hours typically from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. (confirm with the park for exact timings).
- Littering: Littering is prohibited. Visitors are encouraged to recycle and dispose of trash properly.
Before you go, always check for any park-specific advisories such as trail closures, weather warnings, or updates about facilities to ensure a smooth and safe camping experience.