Camping at LETCHWORTH STATE PARK
Overview of Letchworth State Park
Letchworth State Park, renowned as the "Grand Canyon of the East," is one of the most scenic areas in the eastern U.S. The Genesee River roars through a deep gorge and over three major waterfalls between cliffs as high as 600 feet in some places, surrounded by lush forests. The park spans around 14,350 acres along 17 miles of the Genesee River located in the state of New York.
Types of Campsites
- Tent sites: For traditional camping; come with a space to pitch your tent and usually include a fire ring and a picnic table.
- Trailer sites: Larger sites suitable for trailers or RVs, with electrical hookups and water supply.
- Cabins: Various sizes and amenities ranging from rustic to modern, often with heating and electricity.
Reservations and Fees
How to Reserve
- Reservations for campsites and cabins can be made online through New York's reservation system (ReserveAmerica) or by calling the reservation hotline.
- Advance booking, especially during peak season and for holiday weekends, is highly recommended.
- Fees for camping in Letchworth State Park vary based on the type of site, the season, and the amenities provided.
- Check the latest fees and policies online as they are subject to change.
Park Amenities and Activities
- Campgrounds typically provide restrooms, hot showers, and dump stations.
- Some areas may have convenience stores, food concessions, and gift shops.
- Picnic areas and playgrounds are also commonly available.
- Hiking: Over 66 miles of hiking trails.
- Water Activities: Whitewater rafting, kayaking, and tubing on the Genesee River.
- Sightseeing: Famous for its scenic vistas, overlooks, and the three major waterfalls.
- Winter Activities: Snowmobiling, cross-country skiing, and snow tubing (weather permitting).
Regulations and Safety
- Follow the specific check-in and check-out times.
- Keep pets on a leash and clean up after them.
- Observe quiet hours, typically between 10 PM to 7 AM.
- Alcohol may be restricted or prohibited, so check the current rules regarding alcohol consumption.
- Only use designated fire pits or rings for campfires.
- Always supervise fires and fully extinguish them before sleeping or leaving the site.
- Follow any burn bans or fire warnings in effect during your stay.
- Store food securely to avoid attracting wildlife.
- Never feed wild animals and maintain a safe distance at all times.
- Letchworth State Park is located in western New York, south of Rochester.
- The park is accessible from several state highways and is well signposted.
- The two main entrances are from the Portageville entrance to the south and the Mount Morris entrance to the north.
Preparing well in advance and staying informed about park regulations and the natural environment will help ensure a memorable and enjoyable camping experience at Letchworth State Park.