Camping at THOMPSONS LAKE CAMPGROUND at Thacher State Park
Thompsons Lake Campground is a popular camping destination within John Boyd Thacher State Park, located in east-central New York State, near Albany. The campground provides a variety of outdoor activities and facilities for campers. The park is known for its scenic beauty, including waterfalls, limestone cliffs, and panoramic views of the Hudson-Mohawk Valleys and the Adirondack and Green Mountains.
Thompsons Lake Campground offers a mix of tent and trailer sites, including some with electric hookups. Each site typically has a picnic table and a fire ring.
- Restrooms with showers
- A dump station for RVs
- A boat launch for lake access
- A picnic area with fireplaces
- Boating (non-motorized)
- Fishing in Thompsons Lake
- Swimming at the campground's beach
- Hiking trails within Thacher State Park
- Playground for children
- Winter activities: cross-country skiing, snowshoeing
- More extensive hiking trail network within Thacher State Park
- Rock climbing and caving (with permits)
- Nature center with educational programs
- Picnicking and grilling areas
Booking a Site:
Reservations can be made in advance, which is highly recommended, especially during peak camping seasons. Reservations can be made online through the park's reservation system or by calling the campground directly.
- Check-in time is usually in the afternoon (exact time can vary)
- Check-out time is typically before noon
Rules and Regulations
Safety and Preservation:
- Follow all fire safety guidelines, including restrictions during fire bans
- Observe all boating and fishing regulations
- Comply with rules for waste disposal and recycling to protect wildlife
Pets are often allowed but must be kept on a leash and under control at all times. Owners should clean up after their animals.
Most campgrounds enforce quiet hours during the evening and nighttime to ensure all guests have a pleasant experience (check specific times with the campground).
Guests are advised not to feed wildlife and to maintain a safe distance from animals.
Camping and activities should not damage the vegetation. Campers should stick to designated trails and campsites.
Leave No Trace:
All visitors should practice Leave No Trace principles to minimize their impact on the natural environment.
Many parks, including Thacher State Park, offer accessible facilities for those with mobility challenges. The accessibility of specific campsites and facilities can be obtained from the park office.
Contact Information and Location
To find the most up-to-date information regarding Thompsons Lake Campground, it is recommended to:
- Visit the official Thacher State Park website
- Call the park's main office
The campground may operate seasonally, so it's important to check whether it's open during your planned visit. Additionally, some activities may be available only in certain seasons or weather conditions.
Before planning your trip to Thompsons Lake Campground, verify the latest information on rates, availability, and any alerts or notices that may affect your stay.