Camping at Brookville Lake
Overview of Brookville Lake
Brookville Lake is a reservoir located in the east-central part of Indiana, near the town of Brookville. The lake is a popular spot for various outdoor activities, including boating, fishing, swimming, and camping. The area around Brookville Lake contains several state recreation areas, offering campers a choice of settings and amenities.
Campers at Brookville Lake have several options:
- Mounds State Recreation Area: Offers both electric and non-electric campsites, suitable for tents and RVs. It includes modern restrooms, showers, and a camp store.
- Quakertown State Recreation Area: Provides a more secluded camping experience with electric sites and basic campsite facilities.
- Advance Booking: It is recommended to reserve campsites in advance, especially during peak season or for weekend camping.
- Reservation System: You can make reservations for Indiana state park campgrounds through the state's official reservation system, either online or by phone.
Depending on the campground, the following amenities might be available:
- Electric hookups
- Modern restrooms with showers
- Fire rings and picnic tables
- Dump stations
- Accessibility features for those with disabilities
- Camp store for basic supplies and firewood
- Boating: The lake has several boat ramps. Motorized boating is permitted, and boat rentals may be available.
- Fishing: Anglers can target a variety of fish, including bass, bluegill, catfish, and walleye.
- Swimming: There are designated swimming areas within the state recreation areas.
- Hiking: Numerous trails are available for a range of skill levels, offering scenic views of the lake and surrounding forest.
- Wildlife Viewing: The area around Brookville Lake is a habitat for various species of birds and wildlife, making it a good spot for nature enthusiasts.
Rules and Regulations
- Check-In Procedures: Upon arrival, campers must check in at the campground office or gatehouse.
- Firewood Policy: To prevent the spread of invasive species, bringing in firewood from outside sources may be restricted. Purchase firewood locally or collect it within the park where permitted.
- Quiet Hours: Enforced to ensure a peaceful experience for all visitors.
- Alcohol: Alcoholic beverages might be prohibited or restricted in certain areas.
- Pet Policy: Pets are permitted but must be kept on a leash and supervised at all times.
- Fishing Licenses: Indiana state fishing license is required for anyone over the age of 17 engaging in fishing activities.
- Weather: Be prepared for changing weather conditions and pack suitable clothing.
- Wildlife: Store food securely and keep a clean campsite to avoid attracting animals.
- Water Safety: Always wear a life jacket when on the water.
- Fire Safety: Follow all fire regulations, and never leave a campfire unattended.
Contact and Emergency Information
- Park Office: For general inquiries and non-emergencies, contact the park office of the specific state recreation area.
- Emergencies: In case of emergencies, dial 911. It's also good practice to be aware of the location of the nearest hospital or urgent care facility.
Before heading to Brookville Lake for camping, check the latest information and updates on the Indiana Department of Natural Resources website or contact the park directly for the most current details and any advisories.