Camping at Doheny State Beach
Location and Accessibility
Doheny State Beach is located in Dana Point, California, and is one of California's most popular state beaches. The park can be accessed from the Pacific Coast highway and has entrances for both day-use visitors and campers. The beach features over a mile of sandy coastline and is situated just south of Orange County on the coast of the Pacific Ocean.
The state beach offers a campground with around 120 developed family campsites. Some of the key features of the camping facilities include:
- Campsites: Most sites accommodate tents and RVs, with a few designated for RVs only. Each site typically includes a picnic table and a fire ring.
- Hookups: There are no sewer hookups, but there is a dump station available for RVs.
- Restrooms and Showers: Campers have access to restrooms with flush toilets and coin-operated hot showers.
- Campfire Programs: During the summer months, campfire programs are often hosted by the park rangers.
Reservations and Fees
- Reservations: Camping reservations are highly recommended, especially during peak season, and can be made up to six months in advance via the California State Parks reservation system.
- Fees: There is a fee for camping which varies based on the site and time of year. Day-use fees are also charged for visitors not staying overnight.
- Surfing: The north end of the beach is famous among surfers for its consistent waves.
- Picnicking: There are picnic areas and barbecue grills available for day visitors.
- Fishing: Anglers can enjoy shore fishing with a valid California fishing license.
The beach park is home to a diverse range of birds and marine life. The San Juan Creek, which flows into the beach at the park's northern end, provides an important ecological habitat for many species.
- Camping Limit: There is usually a maximum stay limit of 7 days during the peak season.
- Pets: Dogs are allowed in the campground and day-use picnic areas but must be kept on a leash no longer than six feet and are not allowed on the beach.
- Alcohol and Smoking: Alcohol consumption and smoking are not permitted on the beach.
- Quiet Hours: Campers must observe quiet hours from 10 PM to 6 AM.
Visitors are encouraged to help preserve the natural beauty of Doheny State Beach:
- Recycling: Recycling bins are available throughout the park.
- Protect Wildlife: Feeding or disturbing wildlife is prohibited.
- Staying on Paths: To reduce erosion and protect plant life, stay on designated paths and avoid dune areas.
Visitors may also want to explore other nearby attractions such as:
- Dana Point Harbor: Offers dining, shopping, and whale-watching tours.
- San Juan Capistrano Mission: A historic landmark with beautiful grounds and architecture.
For more details regarding camping reservations, park updates, and specific regulations, visitors should contact the park directly or check the state park's official website for the most current information.