Camping at SUMAC BEND
Location and Overview
Sumac Bend is a camping area within Tyler State Park, which is nestled in the piney hills of East Texas. Tyler State Park covers an area of 985.5 acres, including a 64-acre spring-fed lake. Sumac Bend is one of the several camping areas in the park, providing various amenities and outdoor activities.
Camping Options and Amenities
Sumac Bend offers a range of camping options to suit different preferences:
- Tent Sites: For those who prefer traditional tent camping, there are sites with natural settings.
- RV Sites: RV travelers can find sites equipped with water and electric hook-ups.
- Cabins: If you're looking for more comfort, there are cabins for rent that are located close to the camping area.
The camping area typically provides:
- Picnic Tables
- Fire Rings
- Nearby Restrooms
It's recommended to check if any amenities are being renovated or if any sections are closed before planning your trip.
Tyler State Park, including Sumac Bend, offers a multitude of activities:
- Hiking: There are more than 13 miles of trails suitable for hiking.
- Biking: Mountain bikers can enjoy the trails as well.
- Fishing: The lake is stocked with bass, crappie, catfish, and perch.
- Boating: Rent pedal boats, kayaks, canoes, or bring your own boat (electric motors only).
- Swimming: A designated swimming area is available in the park (no lifeguards on duty).
Wildlife and Nature Watching
The park, including Sumac Bend, is home to various species of birds, mammals, reptiles, and plants. Birdwatching is a popular activity, and you might see woodpeckers, songbirds, or even bald eagles.
Park Programs and Events
Tyler State Park offers educational and recreational programs throughout the year. These may include:
- Guided Walks
- Night Sky Programs
Check the park's event calendar for updated information when planning your visit.
Reservation and Fees
- Reservations: Camping spots, including those at Sumac Bend, can be reserved in advance. This can be done online through the Texas State Parks reservation system or by calling the park.
- Fees: There are daily entrance fees in addition to camping fees, which vary depending on the type of site and amenities provided.
Rules and Regulations
To ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for everyone, there are rules that must be followed:
- Quiet Hours: Typically from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Pets: Must be kept on a leash and picked up after.
- Fires: Only allowed in designated fire rings or grills, and firewood collection within the park is prohibited.
Seasons and Climate
The park is open year-round, but seasons can influence your camping experience:
- Spring/Summer: Ideal for swimming and boating, but can be hot and crowded.
- Fall/Winter: Cooler temperatures are great for hiking and less crowded conditions.
Weather in East Texas can be unpredictable, so always check the forecast before heading out and be prepared for sudden changes.
Conclusion and Contact Information
Sumac Bend in Tyler State Park offers a blend of outdoor activities, camping amenities, and the natural beauty of East Texas. For the most current information and to make reservations, you can contact the park directly:
- Phone: (903) 597-5338
- Address: 789 Park Road 16, Tyler, TX 75706
- Website: Texas State Parks - Tyler State Park
Before visiting, it's a good idea to check the status of park facilities and any alerts or closures that may impact your stay at Sumac Bend.