Camping at Horsfall Sand Camping Campground
Location and Access
Horsfall Sand Camping Campground is located in the Siuslaw National Forest, near the central coast of Oregon, close to the city of North Bend. This unique camping area is situated in the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area, which is known for its expansive coastal sand dunes.
To access Horsfall Sand Camping Campground, you typically would need a vehicle with high clearance or four-wheel drive, as reaching the campsites involves driving on sandy and potentially soft terrain. It is important to check the local conditions and regulations, as access can change due to weather and environmental impacts.
Horsfall Sand Camping offers a distinctive outdoor experience with its dispersed camping spots set amongst the dunes. It allows campers to enjoy off-highway vehicle (OHV) riding, as the location is popular among enthusiasts of such recreational activities.
Note: The camping experience here is geared towards those who enjoy and are prepared for a more rugged and remote setting. It isn't your typical campground with clearly marked sites and developed amenities.
Facilities and Amenities
As a dispersed camping area, Horsfall Sand Camping Campground offers minimal facilities. Campers should expect:
- No designated campsites
- No water, electricity, or sewer hookups
- No permanent restroom facilities, so campers may need to bring portable toilets or use designated facilities nearby
- No trash disposal; it's a "pack it in, pack it out" area
Be prepared to be self-sufficient and bring everything you need for your stay, including water, food, shelter, and emergency supplies.
Reservations and Fees
Dispersed camping areas like Horsfall Sand Camping may not require reservations, but there can be a fee to access the area, especially since it's part of the National Recreation Area. Check with the local ranger district or the Forest Service's website for the latest information regarding permits, fees, and reservation requirements.
Rules and Regulations
- OHV Use: If you plan to use off-highway vehicles, they must be registered, and drivers should adhere to all state regulations regarding their operation.
- Leave No Trace: It is crucial to follow Leave No Trace principles to minimize your impact on the environment.
- Fire Regulations: Depending on the time of year and local fire danger, campfires may or may not be allowed. Always check current fire restrictions.
- Pets: If pets are allowed, they should be kept under control at all times.
Activities and Attractions
- OHV Riding: The dunes provide miles of open sand for riding; ensure you follow designated trail systems.
- Hiking: There are trails and areas to explore on foot in the dunes.
- Wildlife Viewing: The area is home to a variety of wildlife, including birds and other native animals.
- Beach Access: Some areas within the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area provide access to the Pacific Ocean beachfront.
- Be Prepared: Weather can change rapidly, and fog is common. Bring appropriate clothing and gear.
- Driving: Driving in sand requires skill and proper equipment. Make sure your vehicle is prepared, and you know how to handle it in this environment.
- Emergencies: Cell service may be unreliable, so have a plan for emergencies.
- Orientation: It can be easy to get lost in the dunes, bring navigation aids such as a map and compass or GPS.
Before heading to Horsfall Sand Camping Campground, it's always a good idea to check the latest updates from the Siuslaw National Forest or local ranger station for any changes or specific information pertinent to your visit.