Camping at GOLDEN HILL STATE PARK
Golden Hill State Park is located on the south shore of Lake Ontario in Barker, New York. This state park is well-known for its historic lighthouse, the Thirty Mile Point Lighthouse, which is a popular attraction within the park. Visitors can enjoy a range of outdoor activities, including camping, fishing, boating, hiking, picnicking, and wildlife watching.
- Campsites can usually be reserved in advance through the New York State Parks reservation system. It is often recommended to book well ahead of time, especially during peak season or for popular holiday weekends.
- The park offers a variety of campsites, including tent and RV sites, along with a few cabins and yurts for those looking for a more comfortable camping experience.
- Amenities at campsites vary but may include picnic tables, fire rings, restrooms, showers, and electrical hookups. Not all campsites have all amenities, so campers should check the specific facilities provided at their chosen site upon reservation.
- The camping season at Golden Hill State Park typically runs from early May through Columbus Day. Some facilities might be available for use in the off-season, but services could be limited.
- The park offers several trails for hiking and nature walks, where visitors can enjoy the scenic views of Lake Ontario and explore the local flora and fauna.
Fishing and Boating:
- Lake Ontario is accessible from the park and is a haven for anglers looking for a variety of fish species. Boating is also popular in the area, with a boat launch providing access to the lake.
- The park is a good spot for bird watching, especially during migrations. Wildlife in the area includes various bird species, deer, and small mammals.
- The Thirty Mile Point Lighthouse is a must-see for visitors. It offers historical significance and beautiful views. Tours may be available depending on the season and staffing.
Rules and Regulations
- Check-in and Check-out Times: Campers must adhere to the park's posted check-in and check-out times for camping sites and other facilities.
- Pets: Pets are often allowed but must be kept on a leash and under control at all times. Some areas of the park may be restricted to pets.
- Fires: Fires are generally permitted in designated areas, such as fire rings or grills. Campers must follow any current fire regulations and advisories.
- Quiet Hours: Campgrounds typically enforce quiet hours to ensure all guests can enjoy a peaceful experience.
- Alcohol: Alcohol consumption may be restricted or prohibited in certain areas of the park; visitors should check the park's policy.
Contact Information and Location
- Park Address: Golden Hill State Park, 9691 Lower Lake Road, Barker, NY 14012
- Phone Number: Visitors can contact the park office for more information, current conditions, and specific questions.
Before planning a trip, you should check the latest information as park regulations, amenities, and available activities may change.