Camping at Bayou Point Day Use Campground
Location and Contact Information
Bayou Point Day Use Campground is located within the Arkabutla Lake Park near Coldwater, Mississippi. This area is managed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. For specific information and updates, it's best to contact the Arkabutla Lake Field Office.
- Address: 3905 Arkabutla Dam Rd, Coldwater, MS 38618, United States
- Phone: +1 662-562-6261 (Arkabutla Lake Field Office)
Facilities and Amenities
Bayou Point Day Use Campground offers various facilities to make your visit comfortable and enjoyable:
- Picnic Areas: The campground provides picnic shelters that can be reserved for family gatherings or special events.
- Boat Ramps: Access to Arkabutla Lake for boating activities.
- Restrooms: The area is equipped with restrooms for convenience.
- Play Areas: Suitable for families with children, these areas provide play equipment and space for kids to enjoy.
- Fishing: Arkabutla Lake is known for great fishing opportunities including crappie, bass, and catfish.
Reservations and Fees
- Shelter Reservations: Picnic shelters at Bayou Point can usually be reserved in advance for a fee. Check with the field office or the recreation.gov website for availability and pricing.
- Entrance Fees: There might be a day-use fee to access the campground and amenities. Fees can vary, so it is advisable to confirm current rates before visiting.
Aside from picnicking and boating, visitors to Bayou Point Day Use Campground can enjoy:
- Hiking and Biking: There are trails around the lake for hiking and mountain biking.
- Water Sports: Besides fishing, the lake is suitable for kayaking, canoeing, and other water sports.
- Wildlife Observation: The area around the lake provides opportunities to see various species of birds and other wildlife.
Rules and Regulations
- Alcohol: Consumption of alcoholic beverages might be restricted, so visitors should verify the local rules.
- Pets: Pets are typically allowed but must be kept on a leash.
- Fires: Fires are permitted only in designated areas or grills.
- Trash: Visitors should pack out what they pack in, leaving no trace.
- Safety: Life jackets are recommended when on the water.
- Tunica Casinos: A short drive away, the casinos offer entertainment and dining options.
- Memphis, TN: About 30 minutes from Bayou Point, Memphis offers cultural attractions like Graceland, Beale Street, and the National Civil Rights Museum.
- Hernando Point Recreation Area: Another area around Arkabutla Lake providing additional recreational options.
Weather and Best Time to Visit
The region experiences a temperate climate with warm, humid summers, and mild winters. The best time to visit would typically be spring or fall when temperatures are pleasant. It is always a good idea to check the weather forecast before heading out, especially if planning to engage in water-related activities.
For the most up-to-date information regarding Bayou Point Day Use Campground and Arkabutla Lake Park, contacting the field office is recommended, as well as looking at official websites for any alerts or updates that might affect your visit.