Camping at Pokegama Dam Campground
Overview of Pokegama Dam Campground
Pokegama Dam Campground is situated near Pokegama Lake, part of the Mississippi River Headwaters State Park in Minnesota. The campground offers outdoor enthusiasts a beautiful place to stay while enjoying the natural surroundings and recreational activities that the park and lake have to offer.
Location and Access
Pokegama Dam Campground The campground is located on the Mississippi River near Grand Rapids, Minnesota. Access to the campground is from U.S. Highway 2, taking Itasca County Road 63.
Facilities and Amenities
- Camping Sites: The campground typically provides several campsites, including options for tent camping and RVs, some with electrical hookups.
- Boat Access: Being close to the lake, it offers boat ramps for easy lake access.
- Picnic Areas: Designated areas for picnicking, often with tables and fire rings are usually available.
- Toilets and Showers: The campground will likely have flush toilets and perhaps shower facilities for guests.
- Drinking Water: Safe drinking water is generally provided via faucets strategically placed around the campgrounds.
- Play Area: There may be a playground or open areas for children to play.
- Dump Station: For RVs, a sewage dump station might be available on site.
- Boating and Fishing: With access to Pokegama Lake and Mississippi River, there are ample opportunities for water-based activities.
- Swimming: There may be a designated swimming area in the lake.
- Hiking and Biking: The surrounding natural area will likely have trails.
- Wildlife Watching: The area is a habitat for various wildlife species, so it is an excellent place for nature observation.
Regulations and Safety
- Firewood: Bringing firewood from home may be restricted to prevent the spread of invasive species.
- Pets: Pets are usually allowed but must be kept on a leash.
- Quiet Hours: There are typically quiet hours enforced to maintain a peaceful environment.
- Alcohol: Alcohol policies may vary, so it's important to check the specific rules.
Reservation and Fees
- Advance Booking: Reservations may be required, especially during peak seasons, and can often be made online or by phone.
- Fees: Expect to pay a nightly fee for camping, which varies based on the site's facilities (electric hookups, etc.).
- Seasonal Operation: The campground might be seasonal, with operations mainly during the warmer months.
Contact Information and Further Details
For the most accurate and current information, it's best to contact the Mississippi River Headwaters State Park directly or visit their official website. They can provide specific details on campground rules, reservations, seasonal availability, and any alerts or closures due to weather or other circumstances.