Camping at Shaffer Bend Recreation Area
Location and Access
Shaffer Bend Recreation Area is located in Marble Falls, Texas, within Burnet County. It is situated on the north side of Lake Travis, offering scenic views and a variety of outdoor recreation opportunities. The area is managed by the Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA) and is accessible by car.
Primitive Camping: Shaffer Bend offers primitive camping sites with no water or electric hookups. This is ideal for those looking for a more rugged outdoor experience. Campsites are typically first-come, first-served, so it's important to arrive early, especially during peak seasons.
Group Camping: Larger groups can take advantage of designated group camping areas. These may need to be reserved in advance, depending on the LCRA's policies.
Facilities and Amenities
- Picnic Areas: Equipped with tables and grills, perfect for day use.
- Restrooms: Composting toilets are available on-site, but there are no shower facilities.
- Boat Ramp: There's a boat ramp for those interested in water activities like fishing or boating on Lake Travis.
- Trails: Hiking and mountain biking trails are accessible for visitors looking for land-based activities.
Fees and Reservations
There are day-use fees and camping fees applicable for visitors, which contribute to the maintenance and upkeep of the park. Prices may vary, and it's best to check the latest information from the LCRA website or contact them directly. Advanced reservations for camping spots may be possible through the LCRA reservation system.
Rules and Regulations
- Fire Restrictions: Open fires may be prohibited during certain times of the year, especially if there is a burn ban due to dry conditions. Always check the current fire regulations before starting a fire.
- Pets: Pets are typically allowed but must be kept on a leash and supervised at all times.
- Wildlife: As a natural area, wildlife is present. It's important to keep food secure and to not feed or disturb the animals.
- Waste Disposal: Pack it in, pack it out. Visitors are expected to remove their own trash to maintain the cleanliness and environmental integrity of the area.
- Alcohol Policy: Restrictions on alcohol consumption may apply, so review the LCRA’s policy before your visit.
- Hiking and Biking: Explore the trails and enjoy the natural beauty of the Texas Hill Country.
- Fishing and Boating: Lake Travis is known for excellent fishing and boating opportunities.
- Swimming: There are places for swimming, but be cautious as there are no lifeguards on duty.
- Wildlife Observation: Great for bird watching and seeing other local wildlife in their natural habitat.
- Hydration: Bring plenty of water, as the Texas heat can be intense, and there are no potable water sources on site.
- Weather Awareness: Watch for signs of severe weather, and have a plan in place since conditions can change rapidly.
- Protective Gear: Use sunscreen, hats, and appropriate footwear to protect against sun and rough terrain.
Before heading to Shaffer Bend Recreation Area, it's advisable to check the latest updates regarding weather conditions, water levels in Lake Travis, and LCRA guidelines to ensure a safe and enjoyable visit.