Camping at Emma Wood State Beach
Emma Wood State Beach is located in Ventura, California, offering a beautiful coastal environment for campers and beachgoers alike. This state beach is known for its scenic views, opportunities for surf fishing, swimming, and its proximity to the Ventura River estuary where wildlife can be observed.
Ventura River Group Camp:
- This campground provides group camping only and can accommodate up to 30 people and 10 vehicles.
- Reservations are required and can be made up to six months in advance.
Emma Wood State Beach Campground:
- The campground is primarily for self-contained vehicle camping only (trailers, motorhomes, RVs) as there are no tent camping facilities, nor are there showers or electrical hookups available on site.
- The maximum vehicle length is 40 feet due to the narrow road within the campground.
- Each campsite has a picnic table and a fire ring.
- Advanced reservations are highly recommended, especially during peak seasons.
- Emma Wood State Beach is popular among surfers due to its consistent wave breaks.
- The beach is known for surf fishing, and common catches include perch, bass, cabezon, and corbina.
- The estuary is home to a variety of birds and marine life. Bird watching here can be particularly rewarding.
- There is a bike path that runs from the park that connects to the Omer Rains Coastal Bike Trail, affording beautiful rides along the coast.
- Restrooms: Basic restroom facilities are provided, but no showers are available.
- Trash disposal: There are bins available, and campers are encouraged to pack out all their trash.
- Fires: Allowed only in designated fire rings.
- Dogs: Dogs are permitted in the campground on a leash no longer than six feet but are not allowed on the beach to protect wildlife.
- Quiet Hours: Strictly enforced to ensure a peaceful experience for all campers.
- Erosion: The campground is subject to erosion and may be closed at times for repair or safety issues.
- Tides: Being close to the ocean, high tides can reach the campsites. Campers should be cautious and check tide tables.
Reservation and Fees
- Reservations can be made through the California State Parks reservation system, ReserveCalifornia.
- Fees vary depending on the type of campsite and vehicle. Check the latest fees and availability prior to planning your trip.
- Not all areas of Emma Wood State Beach are accessible to those with mobility impairments due to its natural terrain and beach environment.
- It is advisable to contact the park directly prior to your visit for any updates on conditions, closures, or other important information. You can reach the State Beach through the California State Parks website or by phone for the most current information.