Camping at WAGON
Location and Overview
East Canyon State Park is a popular camping and recreation area in northeastern Utah, approximately 12 miles south of Morgan on State Road 66. The area is known for its beautiful reservoir, scenic views, and well-preserved historical significance relating to the westward expansion.
Wagon Camping Experience
Wagon camping in East Canyon State Park is a unique experience that allows visitors to sleep in Conestoga-style wagons, reminiscent of those used by pioneers who traveled across the United States. These wagons offer a rustic and historically themed camping adventure.
Facilities and Amenities
- Each wagon typically features a number of beds or bunk beds to accommodate families or groups.
- Basic furniture like tables and benches may be provided.
- The wagon campsite is usually equipped with a fire pit, picnic table, and nearby restrooms and showers.
- Some wagons even come equipped with heating or electricity, though amenities can vary.
Reservations and Availability
- Reservations are highly recommended, especially during peak seasons, as the unique experience of wagon camping tends to be in demand.
- Check the East Canyon State Park website or contact them directly to inquire about the availability of wagons.
- Ensure you are aware of check-in and check-out times, and any rules specific to the wagons.
Activities in the Area
- Water recreation: Boating, fishing, and swimming in the East Canyon Reservoir.
- Trails: Hiking and mountain biking on the various trails around the park.
- Wildlife watching: The park is a great place for bird watching and seeing other wildlife.
- Winter sports: In the winter, activities may include ice fishing and cross-country skiing.
- Fees for camping in the wagons are typically higher than for standard tent sites due to their unique nature and the amenities provided.
- The fee structure can be found on the Utah State Parks website or by contacting the park.
Rules and Regulations
- Quiet Hours: Observe quiet hours typically enforced in the evenings and early mornings.
- Pets: If allowed, pets usually must be leashed and cannot be left unattended.
- Fires: Follow any restrictions on fire usage and only use designated fire pits.
- Trash: Practice "Leave No Trace" principles and keep the area clean.
Weather and Best Time to Visit
- The best time to visit usually depends on the type of activities you plan on doing. Summers can be hot and ideal for water activities, whereas springs and falls offer milder temperatures perfect for hiking and wildlife watching.
- The park is open year-round, but always check current weather conditions and park advisories.
- Preparation: Make sure to bring bedding, as it may not be provided in the wagon.
- Clothing: Pack for variable weather, including cold nights, even during the summer.
- Supplies: Bring all necessary cooking supplies and food storage containers to keep wildlife away.
- Water: Always have sufficient water for hydration during your activities.
For the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding wagon camping and other facilities in East Canyon State Park, checking the official state park website or contacting the park directly is essential before planning your trip.