Camping at Moenkopi Yurts
Moenkopi Yurts are located in Dead Horse Point State Park in Utah, offering a unique and comfortable camping experience. These yurts provide a blend of outdoor adventure and modern amenities, situated on the high desert plateau with stunning views of the canyons below.
Booking a Yurt:
- Reservations are required for the Moenkopi Yurts.
- You can book a yurt through the Utah State Parks reservation system.
- Reservations can be made up to 4 months in advance, depending on the park's policy.
- Check the current reservation policy for any changes due to seasonal demand or park regulations.
Inside the Yurt:
- Each yurt usually comes equipped with bunk beds that can accommodate up to six people.
- Bedding is not provided, so bring your sleeping bags or other sleeping gear.
- Yurts often feature a locking door, windows, and a skylight.
- They are typically powered, providing interior lights and a small electrical heater.
At the Site:
- Outside, there's a deck, a picnic table, a grill or fire pit, and shade structures.
- Potable water may be available seasonally and at specific locations in the park.
- Restrooms are available nearby, but showers are typically not provided.
Things to Do:
- Hiking: There are a number of trails in Dead Horse Point State Park, suitable for all skill levels.
- Biking: Mountain biking is popular, with trails like the Intrepid Trail System providing miles of adventure.
- Photography: The park is known for its spectacular landscapes, making it a haven for photographers.
- Stargazing: With minimal light pollution, the park offers excellent stargazing opportunities.
- The desert climate means extreme temperatures; very hot during the day and possibly very cold at night.
- Check weather forecasts and be prepared for the conditions.
- The area is home to a range of wildlife; always store food securely and keep a respectful distance from animals.
Access and Roads:
- The roads to Dead Horse Point State Park are paved, but always check road conditions before your trip, especially in winter months.
Pack Out Trash:
- Practice Leave No Trace principles and be ready to pack out all trash, including waste.
Quiet Hours & Policies:
- Observe park quiet hours and other regulations to maintain the peaceful environment and for the safety of all visitors.
- If pets are allowed, they must be kept on a leash and their waste appropriately disposed of.
- Have a plan for emergencies and be aware that cell phone coverage might be unreliable in certain areas of the park.
Before heading out, it's advisable to contact Dead Horse Point State Park directly for the most current information regarding the Moenkopi Yurts and any advisories or restrictions that may be in place.
Park Office Contact:
- Usually, you can get up-to-date information and assistance by calling the park office or visiting the park's official website.