Camping at LEGIONTOWN
Overview of LEGIONTOWN
LEGIONTOWN is a camping area situated within Burlingame State Park, which is located in Charlestown, Rhode Island. Burlingame State Park, covering roughly 3,100 acres of rolling forested terrain, is a popular camping destination for both residents and visitors to the state.
Camping Facilities and Information
Campsites: LEGIONTOWN offers a variety of campsites which may include options for tents, trailers, and RVs. Each site typically features a fire ring and a picnic table, but always check the specific details of your reserved site.
- Restroom facilities
- Some sites may offer electric and water hook-ups
- Showers may be available on-site
- Dump stations for RVs
- Hiking trails
- Freshwater swimming at Watchaug Pond within the park
- Boating and fishing (permits might be required for fishing)
- Campsite reservations can usually be made online or by phone.
- Peak season reservations are strongly recommended due to high demand.
- Always check for the specific dates LEGIONTOWN is open to the public, as it may not be year-round.
- Campsite fees vary by type of site and amenities provided.
- Additional fees may apply for out-of-state campers.
Rules and Regulations
- Fires are allowed only in designated fire rings or grills.
- Collecting firewood on-site may be prohibited.
- Pets may be allowed but are usually subject to certain restrictions.
- It's important to verify pet policies before arriving.
- Alcohol consumption may be restricted within the park.
- Respect quiet hours, typically enforced from late evening until morning.
- Do not feed wildlife and secure food items to deter animals from campsites.
- Practice "Leave No Trace" principles and use designated trash receptacles.
- Obey posted speed limits and vehicle regulations within the campground.
Health and Safety
- Weather can change unexpectedly, so come prepared for a range of conditions.
- Bringing a first aid kit is advisable.
- Know the location of the nearest hospital or urgent care facility.
- Never leave a fire unattended.
- Keep a safe distance from wildlife.
- Be aware of your surroundings, especially when hiking or engaging in water activities.
- Visitors with disabilities should check in advance about the availability of accessible campsites and facilities.
Contact Information and Resources
- Prior to visiting LEGIONTOWN, check with the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management (RIDEM) or the park's official website for the most updated information.
- For reservations and specific questions, use the campsite reservation system or contact the park directly.
Note: Information about LEGIONTOWN and Burlingame State Park may change, including opening dates, fees, and rules. It's always best to consult current resources before planning your trip.