Camping at Mount Pisgah Campground
Mount Pisgah Campground Overview
Mount Pisgah Campground is located just off the Blue Ridge Parkway in Western North Carolina, offering visitors a scenic retreat at an elevation of about 5,000 feet. The area is known for its beautiful views and a range of outdoor activities.
The campground is situated at Milepost 408.6 of the Blue Ridge Parkway, which is close to Asheville, North Carolina. The campground itself is nestled amongst hardwood forests, providing a serene setting for campers.
Facilities at the Campground:
- Tent sites, RV sites, and a few trailer sites are available.
- Each campsite typically includes a picnic table, a fire ring/grill, and space for a tent.
- There are modern restrooms with cold running water but no showers.
- No hookups are available for RVs.
- A camp store nearby offers camping supplies, snacks, and some gift items.
Reservations and Fees
Reservations can usually be made in advance through the Recreation.gov website or by phone. Fees for campsites are variable depending on the type of site you reserve. It is advisable to book early, especially during peak seasons.
- There are several trails near Mount Pisgah, including the popular Mount Pisgah Trail, which ascends to the summit for panoramic views.
- The Fryingpan Mountain Lookout Tower is also a short drive away, offering a unique hike to a historic fire tower.
- For those interested in fishing, there are nearby streams that are stocked with fish, but remember to check local regulations and obtain a proper license.
Sightseeing and Wildlife:
- The Blue Ridge Parkway itself offers numerous overlooks and picnic areas.
- Wildlife in the area includes a variety of birds, deer, and the occasional black bear.
The campground is typically open from May through October. Weather at this elevation can be unpredictable and can change quickly. Even in the summer, nights can be cool. Be prepared with appropriate clothing and gear for rain and chilly temperatures.
- Some of the sites are handicap accessible.
- Food storage: To avoid attracting bears and other wildlife, store all food securely and do not leave it out unattended.
- Be prepared for varying weather conditions.
- All visitors must adhere to the rules of the Blue Ridge Parkway and the National Park Service.
- Check for any fire restrictions, particularly during dry seasons.
- Cell phone reception can be limited or non-existent.
- Assume that you will not have Wi-Fi or other forms of electronic communication.
Mount Pisgah Campground is an ideal destination for individuals, families, and nature enthusiasts looking to enjoy the tranquility of the Blue Ridge Parkway. With its high-altitude location, it provides cool summer temperatures and a variety of outdoor activities. Being well-prepared for your visit will ensure you have a safe and enjoyable camping experience.