Camping at Loop 1 Sites 000-025
NORTH-SOUTH LAKE CAMPGROUND is one of the most popular camping destinations in New York State, located in the Catskill Forest Preserve. It features a variety of campsites, with Loop 1 sites numbered from 000 to 025 offering a range of amenities for campers.
Reservations and Camping Season
- Reservations: Most camping spots, including Loop 1, can be reserved in advance. It's highly recommended to book early, especially for peak season dates, as the campground can fill up quickly.
- Camping Season: The campground is typically open from spring through fall; however, exact dates can vary each year, so check the current season's dates.
Site Details for Loop 1 Sites 000-025
- Site Size: Spaces in Loop 1 can generally accommodate various sizes of tents and RVs. Specific dimensions should be confirmed when booking.
- Electric Hookups: Check the site description as not all sites in Loop 1 have electric hookups.
- Water Access: Drinking water spigots are usually available close to the sites, but direct water hookups at each site may not be available.
- Site Amenities: Standard amenities include a picnic table, a fire ring, and usually a flat area for a tent. Some sites may also offer additional features like lantern posts or platforms.
- Privacy: The amount of privacy varies from site to site. Some are more secluded, while others are closer to adjacent sites.
Amenities in the Campground
- Restrooms and Showers: Facilities are present within accessible distances, including comfort stations with flush toilets and hot showers.
- Dump Station: Available for RVs, typically located near the campground entrance or exit.
- General Store: There may be a store on site or nearby for basic supplies. Hours and availability can be seasonal.
Activities and Attractions
- Recreation: The campground offers a variety of recreational activities including hiking, fishing, canoeing, and swimming.
- Hiking Trails: There are trails for all experience levels, from easy strolls to challenging hikes, including access to the famous Escarpment Trail.
- Lakes: North-South Lake is the largest and most popular lake in the Catskill Forest Preserve, offering boating, kayaking, and canoeing opportunities.
Pets and Wildlife
- Pets: Pets are often allowed but must be kept on a leash no longer than 6 feet and never left unattended. Check for specific pet regulations upon booking.
- Wildlife: The area is rich in wildlife; proper food storage and handling are crucial to avoid attracting bears and other wildlife.
Campground Rules and Etiquette
- Quiet Hours: Typically enforced to ensure a peaceful experience for all campers. These are often from 10 pm to 7 am.
- Fires: Only permitted in designated fire rings or pits. Collecting firewood within the park may be prohibited.
- Garbage: "Carry in, carry out" policies or designated areas for trash disposal are common. Recyclables should be sorted as required.
- Check the Weather: Be prepared for changing conditions and cooler temperatures, especially at night.
- Book Activities in Advance: If you plan to rent boats or participate in guided tours, it can be helpful to book these ahead of time.
- Cell Service: Can be spotty in remote areas; plan accordingly.
Contacting the Campground
- Campground Contact: For the most up-to-date information, contacting the campground directly is recommended. Look for contact details on the official website or through the reservation system.
Visitors should always check the latest updates on the campground’s website or contact the park directly for real-time information, as rules and available services can change from season to season.