Camping at CRAGMONT SHELTER
Overview of Clifty Falls State Park
Clifty Falls State Park is located near Madison, Indiana, and offers visitors a breathtaking landscape characterized by deep canyons, tumbling waterfalls, and rugged cliffs. The park includes numerous trails that range from easy to very rugged, leading visitors to scenic overlooks and splendid views of the waterfalls - Clifty Falls, Little Clifty Falls, Hoffman Falls, and Tunnel Falls.
Location and Access
Cragmont Shelter is one of the several shelters available for use within Clifty Falls State Park. It is situated in a location that generally serves as a prime spot for gatherings, picnics, or as a base for hikers exploring the park.
Facilities and Features
- Capacity: It is essential to check the current capacity limits for the shelter. This can vary depending on the park’s policies.
- Amenities: Cragmont Shelter typically comes equipped with picnic tables, a grill, and nearby restroom facilities. There may possibly be electric hookups, but it's advisable to verify this detail with the park.
- Accessibility: Visitors with disabilities should confirm the accessibility features of the shelter, as facilities can vary in terms of ADA compliance.
- Booking: Reservations for Cragmont Shelter can usually be made in advance, often starting several months prior to the desired date. Reservation details can be found on Indiana's state park reservation system or by contacting the park directly.
- Fees: There is likely a rental fee for using the shelter, which can change from year to year. It's best to consult the state park’s official website or visitor center for the most current pricing.
- Cancellation Policy: It’s also important to understand the cancellation policy in case your plans change, which includes any deadlines for a refund or credits for future reservations.
Rules and Regulations
- Park Hours: Clifty Falls State Park generally has established hours, opening at dawn and closing at dusk. Visitors should plan their activities within these times.
- Leave No Trace: Visitors are expected to follow "Leave No Trace" principles to minimize their impact on the environment.
- Pets: While pets are often allowed in state parks, there may be restrictions at certain shelters or areas within the park.
- Alcohol Policy: Since rules regarding alcohol consumption can vary by state and by park, it's essential to check Clifty Falls State Park’s specific regulations.
- Fire Safety: Any fires must be contained in designated grills or fire rings, and visitors must adhere to fire safety guidelines, especially during dry seasons when the risk of wildfires is high.
Activities and Points of Interest
- Hiking: With trails ranging in difficulty, hiking is a popular activity at Clifty Falls. Trekkers can enjoy the rugged terrain and scenic beauty.
- Waterfalls: The park is known for its stunning waterfalls, so a trip to at least one of the park’s notable falls is highly recommended.
- Nature & Wildlife: The park is also an excellent place for bird watching, photography, and enjoying the local flora and fauna.
- Weather: Be sure to check the weather forecast before visiting and prepare accordingly.
- Trail Difficulty: Visitors should be aware of the trail difficulties and their own physical limitations.
- Seasonal Highlights: Certain times of the year may offer unique natural phenomena, such as spring wildflowers or fall foliage.
- Water Supply: It's wise to bring plenty of water, especially during the summer months, as outdoor activities can be dehydrating.
For the most up-to-date information about Cragmont Shelter and Clifty Falls State Park, visitors should contact the park directly or visit the Indiana Department of Natural Resources website.