Camping at Little Coon Creek Park
Little Coon Creek Park is one of the campgrounds located on Gillham Lake within the Gillham Lake State Park area in Arkansas. Gillham Lake is a popular destination for a variety of recreational activities such as boating, fishing, swimming, and camping.
Reservations and Availability:
- Camping spots at Little Coon Creek Park can usually be reserved in advance through the Recreation.gov website or by calling the reservation line. It's important to check the availability for your planned dates and secure a spot ahead of time, especially during peak seasons.
- Campsites at Little Coon Creek Park typically include amenities such as picnic tables, fire rings, and grill stands. Some sites may offer hookups for electricity and water, making them suitable for RVs.
- The park is equipped with facilities such as restrooms and showers for camper convenience. Drinking water may also be available at designated spots throughout the campground.
Access and Accessibility:
- Roads and parking areas are generally designed to be accessible to both vehicles and RVs. Sites that are ADA accessible may be available for those with specific needs.
Activities and Amenities
- The area is well-suited for a wide range of outdoor activities. Visitors can engage in:
- Boating: There are usually boat ramps providing easy access to the water.
- Fishing: Gillham Lake is known for its bass, catfish, and bream population.
- Hiking: There may be trails within or nearby the park.
- Swimming: Designated swimming areas might be available for enjoying the lake.
- Wildlife Observation: The area is rich in local flora and fauna, providing ample opportunity for nature enthusiasts.
- The park often includes additional amenities such as playgrounds for children, picnic areas, and sometimes an on-site store for essentials.
Weather and Climate:
- It's important to be aware of the weather conditions and prepare accordingly. Summertime can be hot and humid while the evenings can cool down considerably.
- As with any outdoor area, encountering wildlife is a possibility. Campers should keep food stored securely and be aware of their surroundings.
- Campers are expected to follow the principles of "Leave No Trace" to preserve the natural environment, including disposing of waste properly and minimizing the impact on the land.
Regulations and Permits
- A camping permit or fee is typically required and can usually be taken care of during the reservation process or upon arrival at the park.
- Campers must adhere to park regulations such as quiet hours, pet rules, and fire safety guidelines. These rules are in place to ensure the safety and enjoyment of all visitors.
- Fishing licenses may be required according to Arkansas state law, and there may be specific regulations on size and bag limits for various species.
For the most current information and to make reservations, it's best to contact the campground directly or through the official reservation system:
- Phone: You can find the contact number for Gillham Lake State Park or the Little Coon Creek Campground by searching Arkansas State Parks' contact information or the park's listings on Recreation.gov.
- Online: Visit the Recreation.gov website to find specific information on Little Coon Creek Park, including reviews, campsite details, and any alerts or closures.
It's essential to check the latest updates and information before planning your trip, as details and regulations can change due to seasonal factors or park management decisions.